George Wellington “Cap” Streeter
This 8-foot bronze sculpture at the corner of McClurg Ct. and Grand Ave stands in the heart of the
Streeterville neighborhood on the Near North Side of Chicago. Streeterville was given its name due
to the legendary antics of Cap Streeter who ran his boat aground near the intersection of superior
and Fairbanks in 1886.
During the construction boom that followed the Chicago Fire, Cap encouraged excavation contractors
to dump their rubble into the lake near his boat eventually amassing 186 acres of newly created
land. He called this land, which did not exist on the U.S. Survey, “The District of Lake Michigan.”
Cap lived here for many years subdividing and selling lots whilde fighting for ownership rights
since he was viewed as a “squatter” by the adjoining land owners.
The neighborhood was referred to as Streeterville as early as 1901. Currently it is bound by Lake
Michigan to the east, Oak Street to the north, Rush Street to the west, and the Chicago River to
the south. Streeterville is one of the most dynamic live/work/play neighborhoods in Chicago.
This statue was commissioned by Golub & Company and sculpted by locally renowned artisan Dennis
Downes to commemorate the historical significance of Cap Streeter.
Private showings at the Artist's Gallery for serious
collectors can be arranged by appointment
go to top
For further information, please contact Downes Studio at
email@example.com or telephone